- The list along with brief details of some of the most important cities of India such as Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata is given below:
- 1. Mumbai
- Mumbai (earlier Bombay) is the capital of State of Maharashtra in Indian.
- Mumbai is situated beside Arabian Sea and working as a major sea port on Arabian Sea.
- Mumbai is ranked one in terms of population in India.
- The city is the Financial Capital of India. It houses some of the most prominent Business Houses of India.
- Mumbai is also famous for its contribution to the World Cinema. It is the home of Bollywood (Hindi Cinema).
- 2. New Delhi
- Delhi is the capital of India.
- Baghpat, Alwar, Noida, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Sonepat, Gaziabad, Greater Noida are the neighbouring cities of New Delhi that falls within the National Capital Region (NCR). Due to this, sometimes Delhi is called “City of Cities”.
- The Delhi was ruled by Mughals and later British.
- There are several historical places like Gate of India, Humayun Tomb, Red fort, Qutub Minar, the Iron Pillar, Lotus temple, the famous Akshardham temple etc.
Bangalore is the capital city of Karnataka State in India.
Bangalore which is called the “The Silicon Valley of India” due its major contribution in IT software products.
Bangalore is also called the Garden City of India.
Bangalore’s climate is very pleasant across the year due its location which is 3000 feet above sea level.
Bangalore is the home for some of the largest software company of India such as Infosys & Wipro. The city has offices of many global players like Microsoft, Nokia, Oracle, etc.
- Hyderabad is the Capital city of State of Telangana in India. Presently, the state is also serving as the the Capital of State of Andhra Pradesh. From 2nd June, 2014, the State of Andhra Pradesh was divided into Telangana and the Andhra Pradesh.
- From ancient history, Hyderabad is the major trading centre of Pearl and Diamond. Due to this it is also called “City of Pearls”.
- Hyderabad has some historically famous places or statue i.e. Charminar, Hussain Sagar, Golconda fort etc.
Kolkata (earlier Calcutta) is capital of West Bengal state in India.
The city is situated on the bank of Hooghly River.
The city was the the ex-capital of India till 1911
The culture of Kolkata is very rich . Kolkata is one of the few Indian cities which high importance to Football and other sports apart from Cricket.
Kolkata has many famous places to see i.e Howrah Bridge, Victoria Temple, Indian Museum, St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Asiatic Society Vidyasagar bridge etc.
Kolkata was the first city in India to introduce Metro Railway in the Indian public transport system.
Chennai is the Capital of Tamil Nadu state in India. It is located on the Caromandal coast along the Bay of Bengal.
Ahmedabad is the largest city is the state of Gujarat. It is situated on the bank of the Sabarmati River. It is known as Manchester of India.
Pune is the Industrial centre of Maharashtra. it is located on the confluence of the Mula River and Mutha River.
Surat is a large Port city of Gujarat. It is situated at the mouth of the Tapti River.
Kanpur is the Industrial Centre of Uttar Pradesh. It is situated on the bank of the Ganga River.
Jaipur is the Capital of state of Rajasthan. Is is situated on the Central Aravallis. It is surrounded by walls with rugged hills. Is is also known as the ‘Pink city’ and ‘Paris of India’.
Lucknow is the Capital of Uttar Pradesh. It is situated on the right bank of the Gomti River.
Nagpur is an Industrial city. It is a city in the state of Maharashtra. It is also known as Orange city.